Welcome

Are you hungry for some meaty text on art?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Doppelgänger


Working on two very different articles. A profile of photographer, William Albert Allard and a feature on the extraordinary artist, writer and style maven, Beatrix Ost. The Ost piece is basically finished, just waiting to see if the final edits made it through. It was fun to write. As part of my research, I read her memoir, My Father's House, which was very well written. And of course it is a treat to be in her presence soaking up her chicness and élan.

The Allard is coming together. Right now I am reading his book, Five Decades. Allard, who has worked for nearly half a century for National Geographic as a photojournalist is a consummate storyteller both with the camera and the pen. This neatly sums up his approach: "I think the best pictures are often on the edges of any situation, I don’t find photographing the situation nearly as interesting as photographing the edges.” His writing is a joy to read, but I am eager to finish the book so I can start the writing!

Now for the tenuous link connecting the two, when I first saw Allard's photograph of actress, Benedetta Buccellato, I thought it was Ost.

No comments:

Post a Comment