Welcome

Are you hungry for some meaty text on art?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mash Note


I guess it’s pretty clear from my blog how I feel about Gerhard Richter. He is simply the best. There aren’t many who can move deftly between styles. Richter does it with such élan and surety, it’s dazzling. Everything he does is superlative and pulse quickening: the early monochromatic blurred paintings, the abstracts, the pixelated cityscapes and last but not least, his glorious photographic paintings of landscapes, candles and his children. I even love the Baader Meinhof series. That’s why, as far as I’m concerned, he’s the Man.

2 comments:

  1. If a person were going to buy one book (or other media, but I'm old school) about Gerhard Richter, what would you recommend?

    Jill T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jill, I missed this. Definitely "Forty Years of Painting," the catalog that accompanied his retrospective at MoMA. It's available at Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Gerhard-Richter-Forty-Years-Painting/dp/189102437X

    ReplyDelete